Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Not So Friendly...

I made a quick trip up to my local grocery store this afternoon and the check-out lane I ended up in had a middle-aged Asian woman cashier.  I had seen her a few weeks ago getting trained by another cashier, but this was the first time I had been checked out by her.  As I placed my items on the counter, she didn't say hi or ask me how I was doing as most cashiers do.  She just looked down, scanned all my items and bagged them.  The only time she really spoke was to tell me the final price, but even that was quiet and faint.  As I took my bags, I smiled and said thank you and walked away.  But, as I was walking away I wondered if I ever appeared to be that cold or aloof.  I know some Asians tend to be quiet or stay to themselves, which sometimes comes off as cold or even heartless to others.  Sometimes we can look stern or too serious when really it's just our normal expression.  I'm sure I have come off as cold to others before...sometimes intended, sometimes not!

But, this Asian woman stuck out to me because she had short gray hair in kind of a bob, but she had curly hair.  She wore glasses and she also wore latex gloves, which was kind of strange and a first...but I totally get it.  She wasn't very friendly which made me wonder why she choose that job since it deals with interacting with people all day...and she really didn't seem like a people person.  But, I don't know her story or why she would choose this job.  I just know it made me question how others perceive my facial expressions and how those expressions can be interpreted differently just because of your race.  Sound familiar to anyone?

I hope you're having a wonderful week and I wish you many blessings on this first day of Fall (in the States)!

No comments:

Post a Comment