Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Window In...

One of my last Book Signings in 2013 was at my church right before Thanksgiving.  One of the parishioners who stopped by to buy my book was a Korean woman who normally sat next to me at the mid-morning service on Sunday mornings.  I've briefly written about them (she and her husband) before...how they sit next to me every Sunday, how we greet each other, but that's it...no other conversations made.  And, how I've wondered how they ended up at my Christian church vs. a local Korean church.  I was under the impression that most older Koreans were highly traditional and would only worship at a Korean church as they were raised and accustomed to, but in this case I was wrong and perplexed.  But, every Sunday we'd sit there, say "hi" and that was it.

Until one Sunday as they passed by me to take their seats the woman asked me if I was Korean.  I said yes.  And again, that was it.  No other questions, comments or conversation.  Ok, then....

So, when she came up to our table to buy a book she looked at me and said "Oh, it's you!" and smiled.  It was the first time we had an actual conversation as her seemingly very traditional Korean husband stood several feet away observing our interaction. 

Last week was the first Sunday I've seen the Korean woman since she bought my book, so as she passed by me she smiled, said hello and told me she had read my book.  That was it.  I definitely had been curious to know what she (and even her husband, if he actually read the book) thought of it...thought of me after reading it.  So, I couldn't let that be it!  All throughout the service I was curious and anxious to ask her more.  So, after the service ended, I walked down by her and asked if she had grown up in a traditional Korean environment.  She said yes.  Then, I asked her what she thought about the book.  As she was speaking she was looking down, so I couldn't quite hear everything she said, but she did say that two of her nieces are adopted.  She said she enjoyed the book and it made her think about things differently.  She was very pleasant as she spoke and smiled the whole time, but it wasn't the in-depth analysis I was hoping for.  I wanted to know what she 'really' thought of it and what traditionally raised Koreans would think of it.  Would they understand where I'm coming from and appreciate it or dismiss even the thought of reading a book like this.  I wanted some insight, some real scoop inside the culture and perspective from a traditionally raised Korean.  Maybe that was just a precursor to a broader conversation in the future?  I'm not holding my breath.

But, I'm excited she had interest in it...in me...and read it!  I truly hope it does provide a greater understanding for non-adopted Koreans and they're able to see adopted Koreans in a better light.  If it just opens a window into what real life is like for an adoptee than I've accomplished what I had set out to do in the first place.  Now, I just need someone to crack the window so I can understand the other side a little better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment