Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Rock on, Sisters!

So, how did we do at the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon on Sunday?  We ROCKED it, of course!!!  Despite the weather, we persevered and killed it!  Yes, it was friggin' cold...yes, it was crazy windy...and yes, I still think marathoners are 'crazy'...especially when they show up in shorts and some with no shirts in 30 degree weather with wind chills in the 20's.  But, our 2 (3)-person relay got 3rd in our women's division!  Holy cow!  I think we all surprised ourselves (because of the weather conditions), but I'm sooo proud of what we accomplished individually and as a team!

I must admit the thing I worried most about, the wind, was not an issue at all...for me.  My leg of the race was downhill and south, so I had the wind at my back!  Phew!  Seriously, bless my friend's heart who had to run the first leg uphill and into the 20-35 mph wind!  She is my hero and a real winner!  Mind over matter!

It was a fun race, too...well, I'm not sure I'm ready to call running "fun" yet, but....there were local bands playing along the race route and tons of people cheering us on all along the streets.  They held up signs for loved ones and even signs for people they didn't know, which made me smile.  I liked "Run, Stranger, Run", "Motivational Sign" and "Kick Assphault".  Strangers who got out of their warm beds on a cold and windy day just to watch and cheer on total strangers out running past their houses...amazing!  I definitely felt the encouragement and appreciated every cheer, clap, wave and especially the kleenex!

No comments:

Post a Comment