Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bibimbap!

Bibimbap!  It sounds like it should follow "Alakazam" or it's part of that Cinderella song "Bibbity Bobbity Boo!"  But, it's a Korean dish that literally means "mixed rice."  It's white rice topped with vegetables, some type of meat (beef, chicken, fish), chili pepper paste and a fried egg on top.  I had it for the first time in Seoul during my first trip back since I had come to the States.  And, I had it again just recently when I took my parents to a local Korean bistro.  My parents had never had Korean food before or been in a Korean restaurant, so I was a little surprised by their willingness to try out the new restaurant. 

There weren't any Korean restaurants in Iowa growing up and we never really sought them out when we moved to Texas.  So, the very first time I had Korean food was on a work trip to Raleigh, NC in my early 20's.  Several of my co-workers and I went to a Korean/Japanese restaurant for dinner one night and between one co-worker who was Korean, one Japanese and one Chinese we definitely had it covered!  So, I really didn't have to know or do anything because they ordered everything!  And yes, I tried kimchi for the first time and it's not something I really care for...even though it's a mainstay in Korean cuisine.

I really only know two main Korean dishes...bibimbap and bulgogi.  So, I ordered the bibimbap at the Korean bistro and my mom ordered the bulgogi...and my dad ordered the salmon, of course.  It was all really good and my parents liked it, too...shocking...except the kimchi and very pickled pickle that was a condiment on my dad's plate.  How ironic that a Korean bistro would open up literally 5 minutes away from my house!  I guess now I have no excuse to try out and get educated on Korean cuisine.  Any recommendations or suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment