Wednesday, March 6, 2013

PPF: Pen Pals Forever!

When I was 6 or 7, I wrote my adoption agency a letter that I was looking to connect with other Korean adoptees by becoming pen pals that I wanted them to publish in their bi-monthly magazine.  They DID publish that request and I received 15 letters from girls all over the country.  I kept in contact with 5 of the girls and gave the others to some of my friends at school.  The first letter I received was from a girl in Minnesota...and over 30 years later we are STILL pen pals! 

When we were younger we wrote each other all the time....pre-computers, the internet, smartphones, etc!  She still has some of my first letters I sent her.  We've met up a couple of times over the years, not enough, but every time we just pick up where we left off as if no time had passed at all!  We definitely share a special bond!

I had written about our first time meeting a couple of months after it had happened, but never really did anything with it.  I had always intended to send it to our adoption agency so they could publish it in their bi-monthly magazine as kind of a full-circle moment of when I had originally requested a pen pal to the first time meeting each other!  So, a couple years ago a dug it out of a folder and finished it!  I sent it to the adoption agency and worked with their staff to get it published in their magazine and on their blog!  So, I hope you enjoy my first published article!

A Wonderful and Sacred Bond
http://holtinternational.org/blog/2009/08/a-wonderful-and-sacred-bond/

No comments:

Post a Comment