Sunday, March 3, 2013

Palate Pleaser

I grew up on meat and potatoes, literally.  A good steak with mushrooms, baked/mashed potatoes and whatever vegetable you want to throw in...that was a regular on the weekly menu.  Growing up on the farm, we fished a little but we were mainly meat/chicken/pork eaters.  The first fish I caught was a catfish (off the old cement bridge, for those who know where that is) and mom fried it up that night and we ate it!  Of course, I ate shrimp at the not so local Red Lobster...I'm not even sure where the closest one was...but, that's about the extent of my seafood prowess growing up. 

Fast forward to present day and the popularity of sushi.  I've never been a big fan of sushi and didn't try it for the first time until my late 20's.  I actually never ate any when I lived in California for a year...I know, shameful!  The first time I tried sushi was in Denver on a work trip with a friend.  We went to a sushi place and she ordered for me.  It wasn't too bad, but wasn't something I thought I'd ever crave.  I've tried it every now and again since then, but again, no cravings for sushi here. 

I have tons of (white) friends who absolutely LOVE it!  But, the one problem I always find myself in (if I'm not with friends who know I don't know anything about ordering sushi) is that people look to me for recommendations or the lowdown on everything about sushi.  Hello people, I'm clueless.  Yes, I look Asian, but this is NOT my area of expertise.  Haven't I mentioned I can't even hold chopsticks the right way?  I can fake my way through a meal, but I honestly just think they are a fabulous diet tool...nope, can't get it to my mouth!

In order to really enjoy a sushi meal, I need to go with someone who knows what they are doing and can order things that I'll like.  This finally happened a couple of days ago and I can honestly say...I'm craving sushi!  Yes, it's happened!  I've been converted...or perhaps just exposed to some good sushi that I really liked!  I actually liked everything that was ordered and didn't have that strange, raw, unpleasant experience I normally do when I've eaten sushi.  Maybe my palate has changed or I'm getting older and more open to trying different and unique things.  Whichever, I'm still not sure I'll ever be an expert or "the one" to look to for advice on what to eat, but at least now I'm more comfortable and willing to eat what every other Asian eats.  I'm not looking to "play" the part...just be open to try and experience things...from any and every culture, as we all should.  So, to all my (white) sushi loving friends, Ok, now I'm ready...lets go eat sushi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment