Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Yes, I'm Korean...

Once again, my trip to the nail salon provided an interesting conversation about "where I'm from."  An older gentleman, maybe the dad or uncle of the owners was running the water for my pedicure and as soon as I walked up to the chair he said "You're Korean, right?"  I said "yes" and then asked him how he knew.  He said my skin color "it's very white and thin" meaning translucent almost which was interesting.  I had never heard that before, but as I've mentioned in a previous post from another visit to this same nail salon the girl working on my pedicure told me Koreans have "whiter" skin.  It was the first time I had ever heard that!  And now this gentleman is telling me the same thing.  He also told me Koreans are very beautiful...and Chinese women are very beautiful.  I don't know if he was just saying that, but he said it 3 or 4 times.  It was another very interesting conversation at the nail salon.

What's the most interesting conversation about your ethnicity have you had with the nail technicians (I think that's what they call themselves) at your local nail salon?  It always seems to be something new...and enlightening for me these days...which is somewhat amusing and educational.  It's also interesting to understand how other Asians see you and what their perceptions are of certain cultures and backgrounds.

As I sit here writing about my latest visit to the nail salon I'm trying to remember the last time I got my nails done by a non-Asian.  What about you?  Mine was at my gym's spa, but I can't remember another time before that.  Interesting.

I hope you are having a blessed week and enjoy the last few weeks of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment