Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Counting Your Blessings...

The first thing I read this morning was a Facebook post from a very dear friend of mine talking about her decision to get preventative surgery (just like Angelina Jolie) as a result of her family history and the pain she's gone through watching another one of our friend's battle with breast cancer and then her sister's battle with pancreatic cancer.  Our high school friend battled bravely through breast cancer and it was a shock when she died...someone our age...someone so full of life and who had so much more life to live.  She had a young daughter and husband who have carried on her spirit and joy for life.  Right after she died my friend's sister was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and her sister was the same age as my older brother.  They were in the same grade.  So, again someone young...someone our age.  My friend was by her sister's side throughout her battle...her whole family was...and brought a lot of awareness to pancreatic cancer.  She fought courageously and in God's grace for 18 months.

It's in those moments and now looking back on how many blessings we truly have in our lives that we take for granted or forget about each and every day.  And, now after reading my friend's post this morning it made me realize how lucky I am.  How blessed I am to have good health and to have to make those decisions for myself at this time in my life.  But, she is brave, she is strong and she is a fighter.  I know she wants to do anything she can to be here for as long as she can for her children.  I'm proud to be her friend and admire her strength in her decision.  We all have 'something' going on in our lives, but it's realizing the blessings that surround us everyday that makes it all worth it in the end.  

I always give thanks to the Lord for all his blessings every night, but I may see them and say them a little bit differently tonight.  So, may you find new blessings in your life but appreciate and recognize the daily blessings you have today and everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment