Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Two Birthdays?!

I just saw someone ask on Facebook if adoptees celebrate 2 birthdays...their real birth day and their adoption arrival day.  Now most people call the arrival day "gotcha day" and they do celebrate both days.  I never have.  There was never a thought to do so.  Even now, I wouldn't do so.  Yes, it's a memorable day and I do understand why people do it now, but it also calls out very loudly that YOU ARE ADOPTED!  And there's a lot of baggage that can come with that depending on how old you are.  And, if you haven't resolved those issues or self-doubts then I don't see how celebrating the day helps the matter.  But again, that's just my circumstance and perspective.  I know it's very different for many people and every adoption is different.  I've said that many times.  So, I don't discourage it, but for me it's not something I'd be interested in doing.

What's your take?  

Whatever your viewpoint, all are welcome and valid.  We all have our own experiences and none of them are the same.  That's what makes life so glorious and maddening all at the same time.  

Wishing you many blessings this last week of July!  

No comments:

Post a Comment