Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Long Vacation!

Exhausted!  After driving for 12.5 hours straight to get back home after a 10 day long vacation I'm exhausted...and that was a couple days ago!  Now, I'm just trying to get back "into the normal routine".  But, it was nice NOT thinking about work for more than a week!  Alas, back to reality.

Over the past couple weekends, we spent them enjoying both sides of our families...my mom's family reunion over the 4th of July weekend and my dad's family reunion celebrating his oldest sister's 60th wedding anniversary!  Lots of family and lots of fun!  Both of my parents are one of five kids, so we have a large extended family.  It's been a very long time since we've seen everyone...at 1 time, no less!  But, it was fun to meet all the new little kids and see them playing together like I did with my cousins growing up.  My mom is the oldest of five, so most of my cousins on her side of the family and their kids are younger than I am.  My dad is second to the youngest, so most of my cousins on that side of the family are older than I am.  So, it makes for an interesting dynamic between the two families.  My dad's side of the family are the ones I grew up around...celebrating every cousins' birthday and every aunt and uncles' anniversary.  There probably wasn't a month that we all didn't get together to celebrate something or someone.  I miss that!  I love all those memories!!

In both locations...remote, in the country, small farming community...I didn't get any cell phone reception!  That tells you how out of touch I was for most of the last 10 days.  It wasn't until we were in the hotel that I got service.  It's good to disconnect and just enjoy the calm, quiet and fellowship with your family for a few days.  And, it's fun to make new memories and share some of the games and good memories with the younger kids.  And yes, we are ALL getting old...ugh!

But, this was the longest I've been on vacation since I took two 2-week international trips for work several years ago.  10 days is a long time!  By the last 2-3 days we were all ready to get back home...and then that LONG drive back was such a tedious and did I mention LONG drive back?  I think we're all getting too old for the "drive all day long" trips anymore!  But, it was a blessing and a joy to spend time with our family and friends!  Those times are sadly rare and not often enough.  

So, I hope whatever vacation plans you have this summer, you enjoy every moment and cherish the new memories made with your family and friends.  These times don't come back and they don't happen as often as we'd like.  So, relax, have fun, disconnect and enjoy your vacation!!  Blessings for a safe and fun-filled summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment