Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Look Inside...

A big part of writing my book and putting it out there was to educate and let people know what it's like to be adopted and/or Asian.  And, it's why I structured the book the way I did in giving little glimpses into everyday life through stories of daily situations we all go through.  So, hopefully the book provides that vivid image for you or just a casual understanding of what it's like.

However, when I was in Asheville, NC a couple of weeks ago for work I met a gentlemen who asked me about my name...my first name!  And, if you've read my book I discuss "my name" in the first chapter!  So, it was interesting how this conversation came about...by asking me why my first name was Kim.  He was a Caucasian man who was married to an adopted Asian woman and his parents had been foster parents while he was growing up.  He had also spent 8-9 years living in Korea when he was younger, so he definitely knew more about the culture than I did!  And, his wife's two sisters were also adopted, so we had a very in-depth and interesting conversation about adoption, how people react to us, and how people treat us in general once they know we're adopted.  He mentioned this YouTube video called "What Kind of Asian Are You?"  Check it out!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWynJkN5HbQ)

This will definitely give you an "inside look" into many instances I know many Asians have encountered, myself included, throughout our lifetime.  Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment