Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Do I Know You?

Occasionally, another Asian that I don't know will come up and either start talking to me or wave and say "hi", as if they know me.  It happened again yesterday at the gym as I was working out.  I was on the treadmill and as I was wiping the sweat from my forehead an Asian girl walked by waving and said "hi".  I didn't initially notice she was Asian until I moved the towel from my face and she was already half passed me by then.  And, although I said "hi" I realized I didn't know who she was or even recognize her from my daily workouts.  Did she think I was someone else?  Did she just say "hi" because I was Asian?  I never know!

There are actually a couple of other Asian ladies that work out regularly that I see daily at the gym, but I've never talked to them.  We all keep to ourselves.  Isn't that what Asians do?  Well, this one does...for the most part! 

I once had an Asian man come up to me in Target one day and ask me where something was in the store...but he asked me in Chinese or Korean or Japanese...your guess is as good as mine!  I told him I couldn't understand him and his view of me as being someone familiar or "the same" shifted to looking at me like I was an alien.  Oh geez!  What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment