Sunday, April 17, 2016

We All Have a Story....

We all have a story to tell...our own.  As we get older, the story is more refined, told with more context and/or understanding, and hopefully appreciated for it's meaning and/or purpose in our lives.  Every day our life unfolds in predictable, non-predictable and surprising ways.  Day after day, week after week, month after month it starts to tell the story of our lives.  

These days social media allows all of us to tell our stories more publicly and as often as we want....that can be good or bad depending on how you view it.  As part of an adoption group on Facebook I regularly see the posts in my feed from adoptees all over the country.  And most of the time I'm saddened and heartbroken for many of their posts of rejection, heart break, soul-searching, identity crisis, and family (both birth and adoptive) issues.  Understanding that it's their story and they feel comfortable enough to share it with others is brave and they are reaching out for solace, advice, and comfort.  But, it also makes me feel helpless that there's really nothing I can do for them.  Also, because most of what they share are things that I haven't had to experience growing up.  It reminds me daily how lucky and blessed I've been to live the life that I have.  As I've said before, all adoptees and adoptions are different.  There's no one way or standard of doing things.  We are all different...feel things differently, have a different perspective on adoption and our self-worth...it's complex and can be complicated for many adoptees.

For many of the issues posted on this Facebook group page, I know I can't solve any of their problems but wish I could give them a little hope or inspiration.  And perhaps with my memoir, Corn-fed with Rice on the Side, I'm able to give them that little glimpse of hope.  That was part of my intention for writing the book...to help other adoptees hopefully see a little bit of themselves in some of my stories and gain strength and confidence knowing they are not alone.  That's MY story and I hope by sharing it through my memoir (and even this blog) that I can help just one person see their true worth and value in themselves!

Blessings to you and your story!!

No comments:

Post a Comment