Sunday, April 24, 2016

Panel Post Mortem

How did my first speaking on a panel about adoption go?  It went great!  My mom went with me and we met a lot of great people there.  I wasn't nervous at all and sat on a panel with 3 other adoptees.  I got to share my story, my message(s) to parents and my humorous perspective on growing up as an adoptee.

I got several laughs throughout the evening and hopefully provided some insightful information to everyone.  I enjoyed sharing my experiences with others and also enjoyed hearing the other panelists' journeys.  One happened to be the daughter of a guy that played basketball with my older brother in high school!  What a small world!  We had never met before and she also brought her mom to the event.  She had been adopted when she was 19 years old after she had aged out of the foster care process.  So, it was nice meeting her and her mom.

And, it's always fun to meet and have 1-on-1 conversations with people after it's over.  I appreciate their feedback and even sold some books (which is always a plus)!  My mom even chimed in a couple times during the panel discussion, so I'm glad she was there to help give another perspective to the parents attending.

As my mom and I were walking out we were both really happy and excited about how it all went.  We enjoyed meeting everyone and really appreciated the opportunity to share our stories with them.  It was a lot of fun and I'm glad my mom was there to share it with me!  We were both definitely energized by the experience!

I wish I could do that full time...speak at events, go to book festivals and do book signings...but alas, real life reminds me I need to pay my bills!  But, hopefully I'll have more and more opportunities to fit those things in as they fill my heart and make me grateful for all the great new people I meet.

Hoping your heart is full with blessings the rest of this week!  Mine is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment