Sunday, January 10, 2016

Gaining More Insight...

If you've been following my blog for some time now...thank you!  That means you know about the older Korean couple that sit next to me at church.  Their last name is Kim, of course (you'll get the reference if you've read my book, Corn-fed with Rice on the Side).  And, little by little I've gotten to know them a bit more as the weeks have gone by, but last week I probably had the first in-depth conversation with the woman that I've ever had.  They normally sit to the right of me with the husband sitting closest to me, but last week they sat on my left for the first time ever so the wife sat next to me.  She started asking me a few questions, so then I jumped in and asked her a few questions about her family.  I asked her if they have any Korean customs they do at Christmastime and she said not anymore.  Ha.  It's one of those things where if you don't do it all the time you forget.  I was a little surprised since they are older and I thought more traditional with their customs, but as I've been finding out they are quite modern in their day-to-day lives.  I think part of that is because their children don't live near by so they aren't showing them or teaching them the old customs as often.  Plus, as I've always wondered how did they ever come to attend a Methodist church vs. a Korean one.  She did tell me that they had attended a Korean church back in the northeast where they are from and that they did move back to Korea for several years after her husband retired, but they are very happy living in Texas.  They've lived down here for 25 years!

So, as we sat there talking about our families and where we've come from I found it very enlightening.  She still cooks Korean food and when I told her I had taken my parents to a place where I live she knew exactly what place I was talking about.  It's definitely fun for me to get a glimpse into their past/daily lives and hear their perceptions on the Korean culture.  Who knows what other fun facts or tidbits I'll learn over the next year, but I'm sure it's better information first-hand than what I can read about.

Hoping you have a blessed week ahead and are staying warm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment