Sunday, July 6, 2014

Summer Freshness

Last week I reaped the benefits of all my dad's hard work in his garden by taking home a butternut squash, an acorn squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, several zucchinis and cucumbers, as well as tomatoes, onions, green peppers and sweet corn!!  I also had a butternut squash from my garden along with some green beans.  My garden always does well growing green beans!  

So, I had a bountiful of fresh veggies to last me a couple weeks....however, I'll be traveling this week and didn't want all my goodies to go to waste so I did a ton of freezing this weekend.  I made a zucchini lasagna and froze it.  I froze some strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.  And, I froze some butternut squash and some sweet corn.  I love fresh goodness from the garden and my dad works so hard on his every year just so we can all enjoy it.  The bad thing is that it's so fresh it goes bad fairly quickly so you either have to eat it right away or freeze it.  But, it's all so clean (organic) and yummy!!

Plus, I've just rediscovered my love for cherries.  We use to have a cherry tree on the farm and I remember picking them right off the tree and eating them!  SO good!  But, I haven't had the urge for them until recently where I saw some beautiful organic cherries at Whole Foods...they were like candy...so sweet!  So, for the past week I've been on a cherry kick.  My mom just made a cherry cobbler for a family dinner tonight and it was delicious!

So, I hope you are enjoying the bounties of your own harvest or of your local farmers (from farmers markets nearby) and serving up fresh and flavorful dishes this summer!  There's a lot of yummy goodness out there so eat up!  Blessings to you this week (after a long holiday weekend)!

No comments:

Post a Comment