Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I Didn't See That One Coming....

If you've read my book you'll have a greater understanding of this (and if you haven't you can always order it from www.kimfenneman.com!), but I always get asked when I'm at the nail salon "where are you from?"  Always.  Never fails.  If you read my post a couple days a go, the last time I went to get a pedicure it took two girls 5 guesses before they got it right...usually it only takes three: Chinese, Japanese, Korean.

Yesterday, my mom went to get her nails done (without me, so no visual influence on what they asked her next) and the girl doing her pedicure asked her if she was part Asian!  WHAT?!?!  Are you serious?!  Really?!?!  Nooooo, come on!  Apparently there's a first for everything, but this is definitely a first for my mom...especially without me there sitting next to her!  If anyone knows or has seen my mom she definitely has no Asian features.  She's part German, maybe a little Irish and a little Indian.  Again, what??????  All I can say is "wow, I didn't see that one coming!"

Mom's reasoning was maybe since she's getting older the wrinkles around her eyes are making them narrower.  Haha!  I guess to some extent I thought I'd 'heard them all'...meaning silly/ignorant/uneducated questions about being adopted...but this one was directed at mom without me even being there!  Ironic?  Coincidence?  Crazy.  Ok, crazy sounds about right.

Oh, just wait for my next nail salon visit....what crazy questions will I and/or my mom get next?  Stay tuned.....

Blessings to you on these 'crazy' last few days of July!  Stay safe in all this crazy summer weather!!

No comments:

Post a Comment