Sunday, July 27, 2014

Letting My Light Shine!

This past week I spoke to a group of adoption professionals during one of their monthly meetings.  All of the ladies there were either part of an adoption organization or worked independently through support organizations.  I had reached out to one of the member's organization and she invited me to come speak at one of their meetings.

This was really the first presentation I had done to a group of people...and for it to be a group of adoption professionals was a little intimidating (in my head leading up to the presentation at least).  But, it all went really well!  I told them about my adoption experience and about growing up, and finally about writing the book.  They were very receptive to my story, had good questions and provided great feedback!  Each one of them really enjoyed and appreciated my story and thought I had a really positive message to share with others.  It was exactly the feedback I was hoping for...and needed!  They bought several books and each one was going to share my story/information to their colleagues and clients.  What more could I ask for?!

I left there feeling full of gratitude!  Full of gratitude for how receptive they were to my story and how intrigued they were to hear such an uplifting and positive story.  Normally when they are talking to prospective adoptive parents they are relaying all the contingencies and things they need to be aware of and prepared for throughout their adoption journey.  They are guiding parents through the process and trying to prepare them for any scenario...because as I've said before each adoption is different, each adoptee is different and each environment/situation is different.  No adoption is the same.  So, I was glad to provide such a shift in perspective so that they and others could see a hopeful and happy example of what it could be like.

Walking into that presentation I had told myself to just 'shine my light brightly' and that's exactly what I did!  And, they received it warmly!  Hopefully my light will reach far and wide and make a difference in some one's life....big or small.  My small contribution...sharing my story...providing hope, understanding and insight into adoption.  Shining MY light with others and hopefully showing others it's OK to shine their light, too!!

Blessings to you in this last week of July!  Where has the summer gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment