Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sharing Our Stories...

Yesterday, my parents and two of my nephews attended my adoption agency's local area picnic.  It's a chance for local adoptees and their families to get-together, meet, catch up and share each other's stories with one another.  It was in danger of being cancelled, but I and another mother of two adopted children took the reins and got a location booked so that we could continue the fellowship with local adoptees.  I'm SO glad we did!

It was a warm and humid day, but the park had a splash pad right next to it so all the kids had a blast and were able to stay cool.  We had 24 families sign up that totaled around 85 people and I think we had at least 50+ people there, so it was a great turnout!  So many friendly faces and families that had great stories to tell of their adopted child or the child they are about to adopt.  And, SO many cute kids enjoying the games that my co-host organized for them to play which was great!  Yummy treats that many families brought were enjoyed by all and definitely plenty of water was consumed to try and stay cool.

If any of you know my mom she's a very friendly and social person.  She likes to talk to just about anyone!  She's the perfect welcoming committee for any event!  So, I walked around with her to almost every family to introduce ourselves and take a family picture of everyone so that we could record and share the fun and fellowship.  We met so many great people, their families, adult adoptees and obviously shared my story with them, as well.  It was really fun to hear each of their unique experiences around adoption, the challenges and struggles, and all the joys that has come into their lives.  It was a joyful and purposeful event and I'm grateful I was able to experience it and share it with others.

We got to catch up with a few people that we met at last year's picnic, a family that we actually had met at the Houston picnic a couple years ago and a dear friend and her husband that made the drive up from Houston for the event.  It was great to see them all!  We could all probably sit around and talk for days, but for the few short hours that we did spend together it was full of fun, laughter, advice, familiarity, sharing and an appreciation of the special bond we all share together.   That's what it's all about.

Ohhh, and I guess the breaking news....my oldest nephew NOW knows that I was born in S.Korea.  I always wondered when he would realize I don't look like everyone else in the family...and all that entails...all the questions and curiosity and how much would he understand about it at his age (which is now 8 years old).  He didn't seem all that concerned or confused about it.  He understand I was born in another country and that I came here when I was a baby, but no other broader questions that I thought he might ask.  Later, he did ask where my real mom and dad were and I told him I didn't know.  He asked if they were still alive and I told him I didn't know.  I think that satisfied him for now, but am anxious to see what questions he'll have next.  How he'll process it.  As for my 6 year old nephew that also came with us he didn't have any questions for me.  I don't think he really understands it yet and that's just fine with me.  He just sees me...his favorite auntie!

We all had a great time and enjoyed meeting so many new...and old...wonderful people!  Making connections and sharing our stories (no matter what your story is) is what makes human relationships so enjoyable and rewarding.  So, make a new connection this week!  See what new and wonderful ways it will blossom in your life!  Blessings to you this final full week of June!

No comments:

Post a Comment