Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Posing as a Translator

Recently, I took my mom to the alteration shop I've used before and as we walked up to the store I turned around and told her "Don't be surprised...it's owned by Asians," smiling.  Assuming she had already made that assumption, I just wanted to make sure she knew since I knew what was coming...neither one of us would be able to fully and completely understand the conversation we were about to have.

So, as we walked in and rang the bell a middle-aged Asian woman came out from behind the curtain.  I had spoken to an older gentleman and lady before, so maybe they were her parents or aunt and uncle.  As she began speaking, her thick Asian accent came out and we both listened intently to try and understand everything she was saying.  My mom mentioned I was her daughter and had been there before, but the woman never asked where I was from or how I was her daughter.  She did ask a ton of questions, though..."What are you and mom doing today?  What is your dad doing today?  Why did you leave him behind?"  It was a lot of "What are you and mom" kinda questions, so I assumed she knew I was adopted without her asking us directly.

As she was pinning the right length on a dress and coat my mom was having altered she spoke continuously.  I would say I understood around 75% of everything she said, but there were several glances between my mom and I with confused faces.  There were a couple of times when I could totally understand what she said and looked excitedly at my mom to "interpret" (but basically repeat) what the woman had just said.  It was a bit comical if you had been standing there watching us.  But, we got through it OK and hopefully my mom's alterations come back looking as we had discussed...or what we think we discussed!  

Ohhh, just one of the many daily activities that we take with a grain of salt and find humor in...or at least I do!  It's why I wrote my book the way I did as it presents the numerous funny daily activities that I've encountered growing up.  So, if you haven't gotten your copy yet what are you waiting for?!  Go to www.kimfenneman.com NOW!!!

Blessings to you this first week of June!

No comments:

Post a Comment