Sunday, April 27, 2014

Just a Farm Girl...

Well, I use to be just a farm girl....growing up on a diary farm in northeastern Iowa.  When I was little I remember wanting to raise a calf one day...that was my big dream at the time.  And, then it was to become a ballerina...and then a flight attendant.  Typical occupations that most little girls dream about being one day...well, maybe not the raising a calf part...but for where I grew up it was pretty typical.  

This week my first phone interview article was posted on a Wisconsin agriculture website.  A few months ago, the crops editor reached out to me and asked to review my book.  This was definitely one opportunity I didn't see coming...an agriculture site interested in posting an article about my book?!?!  Why not?!  Plus, my dad was thrilled!  Being the eternal farmer, he thought this was my best interview opportunity to-date!  Since it was my first phone interview, I wasn't sure how the article would turn out since I wasn't sure what she'd pick up on or how she would interpret our conversation, so I was anxious to read it once it was published online.  

I love the title "Fenneman not your typical farm girl...or is she?"  Knowing the audience this article serves, I thought it was well written and focused on my time growing up on the farm.  I enjoyed reading the article and how she put the pieces together from our conversation.  The only weird thing for me was being referred to as "Fenneman" throughout the article.  Yes, that's me, but I'm more use to that being referred to my older brother or younger brother by their teammates from the sports teams they've played on.  You know how guys always call each other by their last names all the time, so it was a little weird reading it throughout the article for me.  Is that weird?

Regardless, this article will probably be the one my dad is most proud of...at least for now.  So, to all those farmers out there and your families....I know how hard you work, how much you watch and care about the weather, and how much family traditions mean to you.  Thank you for all your hard work and for providing the food we all consume on a daily basis.  You are what keeps us going!  So, bless all the farmers out there and may we all take a moment to truly appreciate and support our local farmers.

You can read my latest article HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment