Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Common Practice?

I tried reflexology for the first time today because I desperately needed some relief.  My shoulders, shoulder blades and neck have had increasingly radiating pain for the past several days.  I get massages regularly and had one yesterday, but woke up with the same pain today so knew I needed to try something different.  I had heard friends of mine talk about doing reflexology before...walking in not being able to move their neck and being totally fine afterwards...so, I thought it was a perfect time to try it out!

I didn't necessarily know what to expect, which is always not totally conducive to complete relaxation for something like this, but lets just say it was intense.  I knew it was going to hurt, but I had no idea.  In normal massages, they do a little bit of footwork and occasionally it's a little painful so I wasn't totally blindsided by the pain that was about to be subjected upon me today.  I usually do very firm pressure in normal massages, so silly me I ask for the same today.  Holy moly!!!  At times, it was incredibly painful but I just kept thinking THIS is how messed up the rest of my body is!  If it's hurting this much on my feet then that's why the rest of me is so out of whack!  I almost started laughing when they started slapping me around a bit...meaning, after they've rubbed through everything, they slap the legs, back, etc. to keep the blood flowing and stimulated....kinda of like you see on TV at times where they karate chop your back several times.  I definitely should have gone for a bit less pressure, but stubborn me just moaned through it...a lot!  

When I got up, the Chinese guy was a bit shorter than me but very nice.  When I first arrived and was getting settled, the lady who greeted me asked me where I was from.  First question!  Always!  Never fails!  When I left, she asked me if it was my first time.  I said yes.  Was it that obvious?  I didn't do anything but moan...ha!  Definitely intrigued by the whole process, but really just needed some pain relief!  I'm happy I tried it and maybe next time I'll ask for less pressure so the poor little guy doesn't have to use all his strength to torture me!  

Now I wonder if I should try a Thai massage?!  Blessings to you on this last day of April!  And, Happy May Day tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment