Sunday, April 13, 2014

Dear Friend...

Yesterday, I had my latest book signing at a dear friend's newly launched popcorn and gift shop.  It's a cute, general store-type feel store with over a dozen deliciously yummy popcorn flavors, old-fashioned candies/candy bars/sodas, taffy's, and numerous other goodies.  It was a fun back-drop to my latest book signing.

The owners are a married couple I graduated with from high school and the lovely lady is the first true friend I made when I moved to Texas.  I started 3rd grade the week after Spring Break, so there was only about a month and a half left of school.  That fall when I started 4th grade, I met this friend who was transferring from another local school.  We became fast friends and have been friends for 30 years now!  Yep, 30 years!  Holy moly!!  We both have a kind and gentle soul, but she has that something extra....that "x" factor that draws everybody in.  She sees and treats everyone the same and has such a fun-loving personality!  That's probably why she and her siblings were so popular in school growing up.  They were kind and friendly to everyone they met and that was reciprocated back to them in friends from all grade levels.  So, I'm so happy and excited for her and her family in this new adventure...becoming small business owners!

It was fun to come together yesterday as a new business owner and a 1st time author celebrating our successes and sharing a piece of it together!  We enjoyed catching up about current activities, but more so about past memories...and new memories we hadn't shared with one another from the past.  There are a lot of great and fun memories!  It's those kind of friendships, those pure and true bonds that just happen and bless our lives forever.  It's the joy of shared memories, especially of a time where we were still innocent, carefree and not as cynical about the world.  We were just good, happy and cheerful young girls enjoying our youth together!

Now, 30 years later through all the twists and turns of our lives we are standing here together in a place that neither of us had ever imagined was possible all those years ago!  Who knew we'd be here...in this place...doing what we're doing now?  Who knew if we'd still be friends and located in the same area?  And, who knew that we'd still be sharing each other's joy and happiness together after all of these years?  That's what friendship is...it endures.  And, I'm so blessed and grateful for her friendship...from that very first day until now.  

However, I think my dad actually had an even more enjoyable time helping me yesterday!  Why?  He got to talk about corn and meat all day!!  Yep, he talked to my friend's husband about growing corn and popcorn in Iowa and about how all the different types of popcorn they sell get made.  My dad was in heaven!  He could have sat there all day just talking about that!  But, we also got to talking about meat so he was all over that!  Oh, and he did talk about me a few times...ha!  He loves talking about that stuff to anyone that will listen!

So, to my dear friend...I'm so proud of you!  From that sweet, little girl I met 30 years ago to the women, daughter, sister, wife, mother, and friend you have become today...you are a true joy and blessing in the lives you touch!  Just like your sister!  Blessings to you and your family this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment