Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Fragile Reminder About LIfe

After my usual workout at the gym and running 4 miles outside in the cool, low humidity (finally) air this morning I was feeling pretty good about the day ahead.  As I was eating breakfast and checking Facebook my heart sank.  My first true friend that I made after moving to Texas in the early 1980's lost her dear sister to cancer.  She bravely fought pancreatic cancer for over a year!  She was such a faithful, loving, kind-hearted, generous and sweet soul who touched so many lives in her short 41 years on this earth.  She leaves behind a loving husband and 4 incredible children.  Her legacy of spreading joy and light into this world will live on by those who knew her and loved her.  She had a lasting impact on all those she met.  My heart is heavy today.

Sadly, it's these times in our lives that we take a moment to stop and reflect on our own lives...and realize how precious and fragile they truly are.  We're never promised tomorrow, so why worry so much about it?  We're only promised this day to take in, breathe in, and try to be present in this moment.  My life has been moving full speed lately and I need to take a breath.  It's been hard to really just "be in the moment" when I'm constantly thinking about the future...what lies ahead, planning for it, focused on it.  What about today?  Slow down.  Take it all in.  And be truly grateful at the end of each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment