Wednesday, February 18, 2015

New Show

Have any of you watched the new show, Fresh Off the Boat?  It's about Asian immigrants from Taiwan adjusting to the American culture.  I haven't watched it yet because it seems a little over the top.  It looks like it emphasizes the Asian stereotypes a little too much just to get the laugh...and yes, it's a comedy, so it's expected.  But, why can't there be an Asian on TV that we're not stereotyping and that's just part of a normal story line, like Christina Yang in Grey's Anatomy.  You may have seen her as the cold, hard, ambitious Asian when the show first started, but over the years you just saw her as Christina Yang and not the Asian doctor.  I think we need more role models like that.

If you've read my book you know I mention the fact that we don't see many Asians on TV that we can emulate or want to be like because there are very few represented on TV.  So, when I first heard about this new show I thought "Finally, a show with a whole cast of Asians!  Maybe a little overload, but still a step in the right direction!"  But, then I saw more of what the show was about and it really didn't intrigue me enough (yet) to watch it.

How do you feel about seeing Asians on TV?  How do you feel about how they are portrayed on TV?  I am interested to see how this new show fares, though...to see if mainstream America wants to see a show like this and cares enough to keep it on...only time will tell.

If you've watched the show, let me know what you think about it.  Otherwise, have a delightfully blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment