Monday, February 16, 2015

Birthday First..

I enjoyed a long and wonderful birthday weekend this past weekend...and actually have today off of work, too!  I definitely need today to get everything back to 'normal' and organized again.  But, on my actual birthday I experienced a first that I know many adoptees have had and probably much earlier than myself.....

As I was driving back from my morning workout, I thought about my birth parents.  I wondered if they were still alive.  I wondered if they were thinking about me today and had thought about me on every previous birthday of mine.  I wondered if the father even knew he had a daughter...maybe he didn't know.  This was the first time I've really ever thought about my birth parents on my birthday...that I can remember...perhaps I did when I was younger and don't remember.  But, I don't remember ever being in such deep thought about it as I was the other day.  Perhaps it was because it was the age that I was turning and I've been extremely reflective over the past few months or perhaps it was because I truly wanted to know.

Either way, I found it to be a profound moment on my birth-day.  And, I know many adoptees wonder these things not just on their birthday, but many times throughout a year.  It's just something I don't normally think about because I've always known they did what they did for the right reasons.  The right reasons for them...and for me.  I've never held any anger or resentment towards them for their decision and I've always been grateful for the life I've been given.  

So, as I enter another decade of my life I feel joyfully blessed and grateful for who I am, where I am and for those that love and support me.  And, I'm thankful for my family, especially my parents, for making my birthday a special day!  It was great to spend the day surrounded by loved ones...playing, laughing, and making new memories!  

Have a blessed week ahead and embrace who you are and where you are in your own life!

No comments:

Post a Comment