Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Interesting Articles....

I've been reading some interesting articles lately about adoption, the perceptions of being adopted, the struggles of being adopted and how many Korean adoptees are moving back to S. Korea where they don't feel like they fit into the American culture or the Korean culture.  As I've said many times before, every adoptee is different and every adoption is different.  The environment is which an adoptee grows up has a lot to do with their overall perception about adoption, being adopted and how they see themselves in general...maybe more so than many people think.

I can relate and definitely understand where many of the individuals sharing their stories in these articles are coming from, but I don't really agree with many of them because my experience has been different.  And that's the point...we all share a similar circumstance of being adopted, but we all have different stories...we're not all the same.  And, that's the case with any and all of us...not just adoptees.  It's however and whatever we're labeling ourselves as to make a point.  So, in this case it's being an adoptee.

I've never felt torn between two cultures or abandoned or that I wasn't exactly where I was supposed to be...with the family that has always loved, supported and encouraged me.  I know we're not all that lucky and again, that's why I said that our environment and how we grow up plays such a huge role in who we become, how we view things and what we believe in.  That's true with all of us, adopted or not!

So, check out the following articles and let me know what you think.  Do you agree with them?  Or do you have a different perspective?  

This was an interesting article and one that has sparked a lot of debate.  There's too much to go into on this one, but I definitely don't agree with many of the perspectives here from adoptees.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/magazine/why-a-generation-of-adoptees-is-returning-to-south-korea.html?_r=0

And this one, I don't agree with...not being open and accepting the option to adopt from another country.  It feels like a hint of bigotry.  What do you think?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-conn/the-ethics-of-internation_b_6506198.html

I hope you have a blessed week as the end of January is upon us!

No comments:

Post a Comment