Sunday, September 21, 2014

Almost October...

Sorry I missed my post on Wednesday...it was a pretty stressful day from the start and my heart was pretty heavy all day.  My mind was definitely pre-occupied by some family matters so it would've been hard to write something.

But alas, it's a new day and I hope all is well wherever you are reading this from!  The sun is shining (here in Texas, albeit a little humid still) and the sermon at church today was a good one.  Right now my church is doing a sermon series on the "Seven Vices (or deadly sins)" and we've already done envy and vainglory.  Definitely look up the definitions of both of them even if you think you know what they mean.  This week's sermon was on sloth...no, not the animal!  Although there were several good jokes about the animal during the service.  

Do you know what the opposite of love is?  Most of us would say hate and that's what I was thinking when the question was posed today.  The answer is indifference and that's what sloth means...lack of caring.  Acedia is the same as sloth, just an older word, but they both mean lack of caring.  Initially when I hear sloth I think of lazy or dirty and those aren't sins, but being indifferent in life, in your relationships, in your work, etc. can be considered a sin.  You're not living life, honoring yourself or others and not loving God or people.  Love God, love people, do something about it.  

So, as we approach October and really get into fall (at least here in the States), may I (and you if you choose to) grow a stronger relationship to God (or whomever you believe in), understand and accept old/new people in my life and try to make a difference in someone's life each day.  It's the season of bounty...of thanksgiving...and of Christmas...so, lets let our love light up the world!

Blessings to you this last full week of September!

No comments:

Post a Comment