Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Hometown Support

A follow-on to my last post, Hometown Girl, about a current American Idol finalist from my hometown.  Yesterday, Maddie visited the school in town and the elementary kids all sang "Rainbow Connection" which is the song she auditioned with originally.  Then, they had a dedication at the gazebo across from the library to announce it was Maddie Poppe Day.  Next, there was a parade down Main Street, which means it was only about 4 blocks long.  And finally, there was a concert at the county fairgrounds where hundreds showed up to support their hometown girl!

Since I still have so many family and friends that live there and in nearby towns, I saw all the posts on Facebook yesterday.  It was sweet to see the kids sing the same song back to her and ironic that it's one of my favorite songs, as well.  I remember having that album and listening to it all the time.  And, I vividly remember one night putting on a little play for my mom with my brother to that song.  It was great to see everyone lined up on Main Street for the parade and they ended it on the street my grandparents used to live.  I recognized some friends and family in some of the parade pictures.  And, then I saw a picture of the two-lane road to the fairgrounds with a line of traffic headed to the concert.  Yep, that's a supportive and proud hometown for ya!

Obviously, Maddie's accomplishments of putting our hometown "on the map" as they say is much greater than my little book.  She's made national news and is representing our little town and Iowa in such a humble and kind way.  And, it's been great to see the town so excited and proud of her.  

I remember feeling the same support when I went back for my 1st book signing.  We moved when I was 9 and of course we've gone back to visit many times before I had published my book, but coming back 35+ years later and seeing all the support down Main Street was amazing!  That small little town supported me as really the only adopted child in town when I first arrived and throughout my short 9 years there, and they were supporting me again as an author coming back to say "thank you" to them for their acceptance all those years ago.  It was a poignant time for me and I'm so glad I got to experience it.  You can't put a price on the acceptance and support your community gives you, especially as a young child growing up (who in my case looked very different than everyone else in town).  I'm extremely lucky I grew up in that small farming community and I love seeing the same values and traditions that I grew up with still alive and thriving there as they continue to support one of their own.  It's a special place with special people!

Just a side note, I saw a post about the 3 finalists and the populations of their hometowns since they were all headed home for their hometown visits.  Gabby lives in the Pittsburgh area with 303,000 and Caleb lives in Georgia with around 13,000 in his hometown.  Our small farming community is 1,300 loud and proud!  So, for those watching the finale this Sunday, please vote for Maddie!

May blessings of acceptance and support be given unto you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment