Sunday, May 13, 2018

Hometown Girl

Are you watching American Idol this season?  If you are watching (in the States), there's a contestant, Maddie Poppe that is from my hometown in Iowa.  Yes, that small farming community I write about in my book, Corn-fed with Rice on the Side.  That small town of around 1,500 are pulling out all the stops to support their hometown girl and it's great to see how they rally around their own.  They did the same for me when I went back for my 1st book signing in 2013.  

Small towns have a way of supporting their own that is special and unique compared to big cities.  It's organic, sincere and filled with overwhelming pride...everyone feels it.  In the big city it can seem more artificial or corporate, but a small town brings authenticity and a big bag of humble pie.  I think you see that in Maddie's performances.  She's original and authentic and I think growing up in a small town where everyone knows everyone has a little something to do with it.

So, if you're in the States...vote NOW (for Maddie)!  I would love to see my small hometown on TV during hometown visits and celebrate not only Maddie, but the town that supports their own no matter what!  I'm blessed to have been raised in such a nurturing and encouraging community.  Thank you!

Blessings to you in the week ahead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment