Sunday, May 19, 2013

Don't Ya Know?

I was talking to a co-worker the other day telling him about taking my parents to the Asian market for the first time a couple weekends ago (see previous blog entry, Clean up in Aisle....).   As I'm describing our first-time experience there, it dawns on me that he doesn't know I'm adopted and is probably wondering why it's our first time there and why we don't know what anything is!  So, I have to stop a moment and tell him I'm adopted. 

This has happened more times than not...me telling a story about myself or something to do with my family and just assuming that the other person knows I'm adopted.  Until I realize that they're either looking at my strangely...a little confused...or they're trying not to look confused at why I don't know much about my Korean background (culture, food, traditions, etc).  Sometimes people don't get it, but it usually pops up in my head that I now need to disclose this information to this person so they can see the full picture.

Does it matter?  Maybe not, but I guess I always assume whomever I'm telling my story to doesn't really understand where I'm coming from unless I tell them I'm adopted.  And once you tell them that fact you get a myriad of reactions and responses (depending on the person, of course).  I've had few that have had no response at all.  Most have some sort of reaction or response that isn't always what I expect.  But, now I come to expect the unexpected and find the irony or humor in the situation.  The co-worker I was speaking to had one of those no responses and went on to tell me more about the market and where I could find other Asian markets and strip malls around the metroplex.  Soooo, that's where they 'all' hang out!

No comments:

Post a Comment