Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Clean up on Aisle....

After the picnic this last Saturday, my parents and I went to check out an Asian market that several Asians had told me about.  I guess we were in an "Asian" mood, per se.  I mainly wanted to check it out because I was told there was a bakery inside, so I thought that would be a good way to experience some Asian food.  I figured it would be a smaller grocery store than the major chains, but this place was huge!  There were Korean newspapers out front, in Korean, and the bakery was right in the front of the market when you walked in.  It wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be.  They had several different kinds of breads and pastries, but they were all made from the same bread, so it all tasted the same to me.  And yes, we tried several of the homemade goodies!

There were some smaller restaurants, like a food court in the market next to the produce section.  My dad was amazed at all the different types of fruits and vegetables they had in stock.  Being the farmer and gardener that he is, I think that was his favorite section.  We had not seen or heard of probably 1/3 of what was there...meaning, just in the produce section.  It was fun to check it all out, though.  They had homemade kimchee there, which is something I think you have to grow up on because it's not something I care for at all!  They had a huge seafood department, as you would imagine and some really "interesting" things there.  My mom didn't care for that section.  All the aisles were really narrow, not sure what that was about....skinny Asians, maybe?  But, there were huge bags of rice...like lawn fertilizer sized bags!  Lots of different types of noodles and TWO aisles of soy sauce!  Really?!  I had no clue what practically anything was, but it was a fun experience to go and look and learn about something new.  My parents were definitely intrigued, as well. 

The Asian market was located in a fairly big strip center.  All the establishments there, mainly restaurants, were all Asian owned/named/based.  Several of the signs were in Korean, Chinese, etc.  All types of Asian cuisine, service-type businesses, etc...it was very interesting.  We had no idea all that was there!  We're going to go back to one of the Korean BBQ places since so many people have told me to go.  Yes, again...I've never been...yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment