Wednesday, February 6, 2013

One in the Same?

I was recently in a 2-day training class with 2 instructors and around 10 people...including one other Asian girl.  I'm not sure what nationality she was, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't Korean.  She was a younger girl fresh out of college trying to figure out what to do with her life next...ohhh, the possibilities!  I talked to her several times and she was very sweet, but also a little timid (reference last post).  After we finished training, I had passed by the 2 instructors and one of them shouted out "Hi (whatever the other girl's name was)!"  The other instructor quickly corrected her and said "Hi Kim!"  Hellloooo, we all don't look alike!  There are differences, people!  Pay attention!

I get that more often than not!  Especially when there's only 2 of us (Asians) it seems to be completely confusing to people...even if one is wearing glasses and one isn't or one has short hair and the other doesn't.  Do we really ALL look alike?!  Come on!  I mean, how mind-boggling must it be when there's more than 2 Asians in the room!  Try 10!  Try 20!  Of course, if you yelled out Kim or Lee or Chin you'd probably get at least one response.  But, is it really that hard to tell us apart or are you not paying enough attention to who you are talking to or what?  What's the deal? 

I suppose I could dye my hair a totally rad color (hahaha) or piece something else on my face or get some sort of tattoo to differentiate myself....BUT, that's not going to happen.  So, if you're talking to me...pay attention...be present...and remember we're ALL different!  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment