Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bold or Meek?

After finishing my work-out at the gym yesterday, I heard a lady slamming locker doors shut trying to get them to lock.  I peeked around the corner and told her when she slams the doors her card would pop out of the slot and she wouldn't be able to lock it, so don't slam the door.  I heard her keep trying and saying "This one doesn't work.  This one doesn't work."  She was an Asian lady probably in her early 50's.  A few minutes later I heard her explaining to one of the girl's who worked there (a younger Asian girl, ironically) that she couldn't get the locker to lock.  The girl told her she needed a card to make to make it lock.  I thought "She doesn't even have a card!  Oh jeez!"  I was so distracted by this little old Asian lady that I left my heart rate monitor strap  there and had to drive all the way back to the gym later to retrieve it!

But, it made me think...the perception of most Asians, women in particular, are that they are quiet, shy, timid and yes, subservient introverts.  Most of the time I consider myself an introvert, but most people who know me now, especially at work find that hard to believe.  Growing up, I definitely was and was definitely shy and quiet.  I think I played that part to an extent in my teenage years...one, because I knew that was a trait of Asian girls and two, because I was going through those awkward teenage years.  But, after I started my first full-time job after college I grew more outspoken, aggressive and confident.  I could walk into a room where I knew no one and strike up a conversation and schmooze with the best of them.  Those experiences allowed me to come out of my shell and show my fun-loving, take charge personality.  But there are still times when the quiet, shy side of me wants to just sit in the background, observe and not be bothered.  So, is that considered my Asian traits kicking in or just my "American" personality taking over?  Does it really matter?  Not really, but sometimes it makes me wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment