Sunday, January 20, 2013

Starting Anew

If you've had the news on today there's probably been some inauguration coverage and the start of President Obama's second term.  Whatever your politics, today and tomorrow's ceremonies are about starting anew...either for the first time or second time around (in the case of a presidential term).  But, as a Christian I get to start anew over and over again because of God's salvation and sacrifice for me.  Every January, we all think about the new year and some of us make resolutions and some of us don't.  It's a new year...a new beginning...a fresh start...a chance to get it right.  It's that time of year when those thoughts are more prevalent.

But, this inauguration...this president reminds me that 4 years ago history was made when an African-American took the oath of office.  Who thought that could be possible in the 21st century more less in the past several decades.  It was unfathomable.  And who knew years ago as an orphaned infant where I would end up?  I certainly didn't.  How is it possible that a couple across the ocean picked me simply from a picture.  How is it that all the paperwork, waiting, processes and legalities that I would end up on a dairy farm?!  Who would have thought I would be where I am today...because none of us know where our path is going to lead us or what history-breaking or 'firsts' are in our future...but it's the hope and glimmer of possibility that moves us forward.  Some may have more than others at certain times in their lives, but hope drives us to be more, do more, want more! 

So for me this year, I am starting anew...a new perspective on my blessed life, a new appreciation for what I HAVE not what I DON'T HAVE, for being grateful for my healthy and able body, for knowing I am exactly where I'm suppose to be in my life right now, for my growing trust and faith in God's will in my life and for embracing life and living it to the fullest!  Life is too short...it truly is, so what am I waiting for...what are you waiting for?  It's never too late to start anew! 

No comments:

Post a Comment