Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's all in the Name

My family and I were recently debating (throwing out) names for my sister's unborn baby girl....back and forth, back and forth.  "No, I don't like that name." "Maybe." No, that sounds like...."  "Do you even know how to spell that?" It was a fun exchange that my little nephews (7 years old and 5 years old) were listening to.  I finally said to my sister, "What t.v. characters do you like because you were named after one?"  My mom named her after one of the girls on The Waltons.  So, of course the following were thrown out...Bo and Luke Duke, Bubba, Princess Leia...nothing really realistic.  Finally, my nephew (7) chimes in "Isn't it her (my sister's) decision?"  Right on, little man! 

Naming your child is a big decision and an enduring statement that they carry the rest of their lives.  There are definitely some unique ones out there...but, then again aren't we all unique in some way shape or form? 

Ever since I realized how Asian the name 'Kim' really was, I've always wished my name were something different.  Something less obvious...yes, less Asian...probably because I didn't know much about my culture or what the history of the name was in the Asian culture.  I wanted a more American name...but, Kimberly is actually a very common American name.  It just-so-happens I go by Kim.  Really, it couldn't be more Asian, right?  But, anyone who sees my name first (perhaps in email) before meeting me or seeing a picture of me would most likely imagine me as a blonde-haired, blue-eyed American girl...Kim, ok American...Fenneman, ok, German.  There's no Asian inclination just in my name, not really. 

So, although we may have great debates about naming a new baby...names can be deceiving.  Just as the saying goes, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"...or it's name!

No comments:

Post a Comment