Thursday, November 6, 2014

Finally....

Sorry for missing my last few posts, but I haven't been able to access the blogging tool.  I'm not sure if it was their server or something wrong w/my computer, but sorry for the delay!

I had another 'first' the other day...I was at a store with my mom and I was walking ahead of my mom when an elderly woman came up to me and asked me about my husband and son.  I said "What?" and she repeated "Is that your husband and son?"  Obviously I said "no" right away and then she pointed to them.  There was an Asian man sitting in a chair with his son on his chest and they were both sleeping.  It was a sweet sighting, but also a bit funny because it was a normal assumption for anyone to make, I'm sure.  My mom came up to see what the woman had asked me and I told her apparently I have a husband and son and then I pointed to the man and his son.  We both giggled a bit and kept shopping.

If you haven't read my book yet it's really snippets of daily life like the one above.  It gives you a glimpse into those kinds of assumptions or ironies of every day life for an adoptee.  When you read the book, perhaps you'll wonder if you've ever done or said that or made those same assumptions about someone you've met.  Hopefully it will open you eyes and understanding of what it's like to grow up being adopted and the misconceptions you and others may have about it.

It's National Adoption month, so during the month try to do at least one thing to learn more about adoption, what it's like to be adopted, talk to a friend or someone you know about their experiences of being adopted, or simply buy my book and read for yourself!  You can purchase my book, Corn-fed with Rice on the Side, at www.kimfenneman.com.  The e-book is also available on Amazon.com (just search on the title of the book or my name).

Blessings to you this first full week of daylight savings time as we all adjust to the time change!

No comments:

Post a Comment