Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Making New Birthday Memories

I think I've mentioned this before, but I definitely talk about it in my book, Corn-fed with Rice on the Side, that growing up we celebrated all of my cousins birthdays (on my dad's side), anniversaries and holidays together.  So, we all have fond, funny and maybe not so fond memories about all those get-togethers.  This past weekend one of my cousins and her family came to visit for Spring Break.  So, we definitely had to have a family get-together like the "old days" and what better reason than to celebrate my mom's birthday that was earlier last week!  But, it would be a surprise!  We told my mom that we were celebrating my niece's 1st birthday which is in a couple weeks, but the party was really for her!  

Every time I host a big family get-together, I have more and more admiration and respect for my aunts who planned and hosted so many family gatherings.  But, it's what life and being rich with blessings is all about...having my house full of loved ones sharing old memories, laughing, a few tears from the kids, good food and making new memories!  It's sharing in each other's lives and appreciating how/where we grew up...and how different people remember certain times or events.  I wish we could all do it more often, but as with most families the entire extended families rarely get together anymore except for weddings and funerals.  Sad, but true.  

So, I hope over the past week or into the new week you make wonderful and lasting memories with your family!  It's what we share together and with each other that makes a family bond even tighter.  So, blessings to you in the coming week as we start to wind down the month of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment