Sunday, December 9, 2012

'Tis the Season

A little break from my background since it is that time of year....holiday cheer, merry delight and visions of sugarplums...or something like that!  I hope that you all are enjoying the holiday season and all the family traditions that are so cherished this time of year!  Over the past month or so, I've been looking at all of our old photo albums...the ones showing my parents as first time parents or my grandparents looking "oh sooo" young and vibrant, and the ones showing all my birthdays, Easter, and Christmas with all my cousins surrounding me.  My mom and I laughed at the pictures of my birthday where one year all you could see were 3 bowls of jello on the table or another year with all breads/rolls.  It was just one of those family traditions where whenever we got together for someones birthday (which was just about every month), everyone brought something but never coordinated with each other what anyone else was bringing.  I was lucky to grow up with such a close-knit family around who genuinely cared for one another and enjoyed getting together for birthdays, anniversaries and holidays as often as we did.

One of my most favorite holiday traditions growing up on the farm in Iowa was going Christmas caroling with family, friends and neighbors every year.  We would go to a few houses out in the country, but mainly to those in town or at the nursing home.  We'd go to my Grandma and Grandpa's house in town and I'd always go up and stand next to my Grandma on the (enclosed) front porch as everyone sang.  I always felt so proud and excited to go to their house every year.  Then, we'd go to my best friend's Grandma and Grandpa's house and do the same.  I loved spreading joyful noise around town and doing it with such dear friends, family and neighbors!  That's what the holidays are all about!

Another memorable holiday moment came when I was around 6 years old.  We were hosting a dinner party at our house with my best friend's family.  As we sat in the kitchen eating we started to hear jingle bells ringing.  They got closer and closer until Santa walked in the door with his bag full of presents.  I don't remember what he actually pulled out of that bag, but it didn't really matter.  What matters is the lasting memory that was made, not only for me, but for my brother, my friend and I'm sure for our parents seeing our faces light up at the sight!

So, whatever your holiday traditions are (old and new) I hope you make lasting memories for you and your families that will make you smile every time you think about them.  Make sure you slow down during this hectic holiday season to take it all in, to embrace the true reason for the season and to be ever present in the moment(s).  Sending each of you holiday cheer, wonder and excitement!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so blessed to share these special memories with you. You brought a smile to my face as I remember the fun of caroling and the magical suprise of a visit from Santa. Wishing you the best through this holiday season and into the new year. Excited to hear about all the new things coming in your life!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete