Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A White Christmas...in Texas!

It was a very white Christmas for us in Texas this year!  It had rained all morning, but then turned into glorious snow falling down for several hours in the afternoon.  It was beautiful!  The wind swirled at times, but I went out several times without my coat on and enjoyed the wet snowfall.  It instantly took me back to my childhood growing up in northeastern Iowa where having a white Christmas was normal.  But, living in Texas for over 20 years it's definitely a rarity.  We'll get ice storms or occasional snow (for a day), but NEVER on Christmas Day!  What a perfect blessing. 

I think with the passing of my last grandparent in October, I've been more sentimental about past Christmas', especially those growing up in Iowa and it's made me miss my cousins, aunts, uncles and friends more this year.  It's the passing of time, the life events that we all face (birth, death, marriage, etc) and remembering all the great memories shared with loved ones.  It's good to reminisce and appreciate the past, but it's always this time of year to look forward to the next...and what the year ahead will bring.

So, as I cautiously drove home last night in the freshly fallen snow I was intrigued at how everything around me looked so different.  I had seen my surrounding landscape dusted with snow before, but there was something different about last night and the newly fallen snow that made the scenery look fresh and new.  It was almost unfamiliar.  I was seeing things with new eyes, from a different perspective...and I'm hopeful that perspective will lead me into the new year with fearlessness, curiosity and overwhelming happiness!  So, today I'll be enjoying the white wonderland surrounding my house as I look out my windows and appreciate the beauty it brings me today and from years past.

No comments:

Post a Comment