Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Reflections

Have you been caught up in all the merriment that the holiday season provides?  Shopping (circling the lots for a parking space), wrapping (figuring out how to wrap that one odd shaped gift), baking (flour, dough, sprinkles and icing stuck on your clothes and in your hair), decorating (trees, garland, Santa's, snowmen and so much more), parties (go easy on the eggnog), and all the holiday festivities around town (tree lightings, Santa sightings, concerts, and everything in-between).  The holiday season can be jam-packed full of cheer and sometimes frustration.  We all get caught up in it, but it's also a time for giving and reflecting on what's really important in each of our lives.  At one point during the holiday season, whether it's Christmas morning when everyone wakes up with that feeling of wonder and excitement of Christmas day or Christmas Eve when you're standing in church with your lighted candle singing Silent Night or when you've given a gift that lights up a child's face...whenever that moment happens for you I hope in that moment of pause you have a sense of calm, a feeling of hope for your future and you feel empowered by the love and joy that surrounds you to make a difference...in your life, in someone else's life or in the world.  We can all make the change if we be the change we want to see in the world.

Usually during this time of year, I look back and reflect on the past year as most of us do.  Whether it's the Top 10 list of movies, music, TV, fashion, etc. there's always a "review" of the year....good and bad.  But, those aren't the things that necessarily matter most to a majority of us.  I usually take time to reflect on what's going on in my life a couple times of year.  It's not a scheduled thing, it just happens.  But, it always happens at the right time...to teach me a lesson, to drive me forward, to keep me focused or to remind me to be grateful and to be present every day.  We all go through similar phases in our lives just at different times or in different ways.  As an adoptee that's no different.  My life isn't directed by the fact that I'm adopted or that I'm Korean.  Those are facts, but I'm also an American and I view myself as an American before being Korean or being adopted.  It's not necessarily important which order that comes in, but for some people they might think it should.  But, as I've said before we all have our own journey's (whether we are adopted or not) and we all have our own timing to learn, change, understand, accept, process, and educate.  So, when I look back on the year it's about those moments in life that stand out, the struggles, the sadness, the joy, the elation, the stress, the worry, the achievements, and the people that loved and supported me during it all.  It's not about being adopted or being Korean or even being American (which although this year, being an American was a big deal since we were all mired in the presidential election of mumbo jumbo every other day), it's about simply being a human being like everyone else and wanting the same things as everyone else no matter where you are in the world...peace, happiness, health, safety, joy.  The things that really matter.

So, I hope you take time to embrace the things that really matter in your life this holiday season!  Good tidings to you and peace on earth, goodwill toward men!

No comments:

Post a Comment