Sunday, August 28, 2016

Real Meaning...

Today at church I got an answer to one of my most curious questions...what does my Korean name mean?  My mom attended church with me today and we sat in my normal spot...yes, we're creatures of habit especially when it comes to what pew we sit in at church.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, there is an older Korean couple that also sits in the same pew as I and we've become acquainted over the past few years.  The husband is still very much rooted in Korean culture and I don't think has openly ever said anything to me except to nod and occasionally wave a "hello" to me.  However, the woman is very friendly and we've spoken many times.  She is very quiet when she speaks so I don't quite catch everything she says, but she's been very receptive to any questions about the Korean culture I might ask.  So today I asked her about her Korean name and what it meant and then asked her about my Korean name and if she knew what it meant.  She explained her name to me and even wrote it out on paper in Korean, in Japanese characters and in Chinese characters.  Then, I wrote down my Korean name and showed her and asked her what it meant.  She said my name out loud and pronounced it correctly right away, which is something my family had not been doing until I finally learned the correct way to pronounce it when I went to Seoul, South Korea for the first time several years ago.  But, I still didn't know what it meant.

She told me my name means "precious gem"!  And my mom chimed in saying "yes you are!"  I finally got the answer to one of my burning questions.  It was quite satisfying.  

I continued to have a delightful conversation with her until the church service started.  And, was thankful for her knowledge, humor and growing friendship.  Sometimes you never know how, when or where you'll get answers to some of your deepest questions.  So, just be ready and open for the opportunity to present itself!

May the coming week answer one of your most burning questions in life!  Blessings to you as we move into September in the week ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment