Wednesday, August 31, 2016

3 Year Anniversary!!

3 years ago today I was holding my 1st published book in my hands!!!  It was exciting, unreal and blissful!  I remember it well.  My mom and I had gone away for the Labor Day weekend to do some outlet shopping and the boxes were delivered a few days earlier than I expected.  Luckily my dad was home to receive the shipment and was directly instructed NOT to open any of the boxes or take a peek!  

So, when I arrived home and opened that first box and pulled out a copy of Corn-fed with Rice on the Side, I was proud and extremely happy!  Who knew this would be part of my life's journey...to write a book?!  It was never part of my "to-do" list or bucket list.  It was just an idea turned opportunity that opened up in front of me.  I'm truly grateful to God for giving me the time, talent and opportunity to write the book and find a way to get it published.  It was an unexpected surprise in my life's journey that has taught me to always be open to any and all opportunities that come my way.  

I had no idea how to get a book published, but researched a lot, reached out to a lot of people for advice and then kept "knocking" on doors (actually e-mailing hundreds of literary agents) until I got that ONE response.  If you strongly believe in your purpose or intent for something than you'll do the work until you make it happen.  If you don't believe in it or only halfheartedly do then it probably won't happen or it won't be the best version of you or whatever you are producing.  So, stay open to unforeseen opportunities and don't be afraid to take that first step...to learn more, learn something new...and experience the unexpected surprises that God has in store for you!

Looking back over the past 3 years, I'm truly thankful for ALL the support but even more grateful for all the wonderful adoption stories I've heard along the way!  Hearing all the different adoption stories of wonderful people (children and adults), listening to SO many adoptive parents and their concerns/joys, and getting feedback from non-adoptees in how much they enjoyed the book, as well.  It's been a special added blessing to my life.  I'm glad my story has resonated with so many and hope to reach out to even more people over time.  The more we can see the similarities in each other the more love, understanding and respect we can all share with one another.  I think our country needs that now (more than ever after this crazy political season) and so we can all continue to grow and learn from one another with mutual respect.  It's how we all grow, evolve and better ourselves and our communities....one step at a time.

So, thank YOU for being part of my journey and thank YOU for all your support over these past 3 years!!  I hope I've brought you some inspiration, comfort, solace, laughter and hope along the way.  Blessings to YOU today and every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment