Sunday, August 14, 2016

Lump in Throat....

Per my last post, the Olympics have given us a lot of amazing and great moments over the past week.  This past week has also given me a few "lump in the throat" moments that I wasn't expecting.  I'm not a huge crier in general and no tears were shed this week, but I came close.

The first came when I heard the news that John Saunders from ESPN had died.  Yes, I first learned the news from Facebook, but then quickly switched the TV channel to ESPN.  It was definitely a shock and you could see that on the faces and hear that in the voices of those remembering him on ESPN.  And yes, I regularly watched The Sports Reporters on ESPN and found his calm, reassuring and profound last takes enjoyable to watch each Sunday.  I actually just finished watching this week's tribute to him on that show.  And for some reason as I was listening to the sadness and shock of his colleagues on Wednesday I found myself sad and with a lump in my throat at his sudden passing.  Peace be with you John Saunders and your family.

The second time came while watching the all-around gymnastic finals with Simone Biles and Aly Raisman.  Everyone knew Simone would win because she's just that amazing, but of course you still hold your breath a little in each performance.  But, it was Aly Raisman that got to me.  After watching her in London get denied of the bronze in the all-around and then making her comeback in Rio, redemption had to be hers at that moment...and it was!  It was exciting and incredible to watch!  And, when she finished her floor exercise and broke down in tears it truly choked me up.  I almost started crying...almost.  The sheer joy, relief and accomplishment was SO raw and real at that moment that it was inspiring to watch.  The happiness and pride I felt for her jumped up into my throat.  And it was heartwarming to watch her parents pride and relief, as well.  Such a joyful moment overall for both girls that made a whole country proud!

You never know what will tug at your heart, what unexpected things will come your way day by day or week by week, but whatever the new week holds I hope it's all light and joy!  Wishing you blessings of joy and hope this coming week and maybe a moment or two of unexpected emotion that tugs at your heart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment