Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Baseline Tests

I went for my yearly check-up this morning (joy) and asked my doctor if there are any baseline tests I should be taking now or considering since I don't know my family history.  She said no as I was doing everything I needed to do and I was on track with all my tests.  That was good news!  So, any concerns I had are abated for another year or two, at least!  
But, I know that's a concern for many adoptees...their family medical history.  It's something many of us will never know (or at least when it matters most), so we just need to try and take every precaution and preventive measures possible as we get older.  It's one of those questions that many people deeply desire and may even obsess over, but in many of our cases it will just be one of those things we'll never have an answer to...and we need to find a way to be OK with that.  It doesn't bother me because I know I take care of myself, have never had any serious health issues and I take all preventative measures I can.  So, I truly don't worry about my family medical history because I can only control my health and wellness.

If you can find the place where you are OK with the unanswered questions about adoption in your life, you'll be more free to be who you are...not what your family history might tell you who are you.  I know it's not that simple and there are a range of those unanswered questions that are bigger than others, but if you can be at peace with some of those questions you'll find more freedom and joy in your life.  It's a process, so just work through it.  Remember, life is a journey and we're all just trying to figure out who we are!

Wishing you much health and happiness this first week of March!  Blessings today and everyday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment