Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Family Medical History

Obviously one of the biggest questions for any adoptee is what is your family medical history.  Every time you go into a doctor's office and fill out the initial paperwork, "N/A" is a common answer under the Family History section.  Hey, makes filling out the paperwork a lot quicker!

Years ago, I encouraged my sister to see my primary care physician because I really liked her and thought she would too.  As she was filling out the initial paperwork, I was sitting beside her telling her what she had to check off under the Family History section.  You have to check that and this and that and don't forget that one! 

Earlier this week, I went with my mom on one of her doctor's visits and we compared vital stats (from my most recent visit to the doctor a couple weeks ago).  I sat in on her appointment and chimed in a couple times with the doctor...you know, just being a good daughter giving the doctor all the facts!  Obviously, I care about my mom's health just as much as mine, but it's also so much different than mine...meaning, what she has to deal with and worry about.  There are things that I know I won't have to worry about, things that I know I'm not predisposed to (unlike my siblings), and things that I know I won't have to deal with when I get my parents age.  But, understanding, helping, supporting and encouraging my mom (and my dad) with their health issues as they get older is very important to me.  I may not be able to relate to their issues, but I definitely worry about them just as much as they do.

So again, that question about family medical history is simple, complicated and sometimes convoluted all at the same time!  Take care of yourself, your family and BE HEALTHY!!

Blessings to you and yours for a healthy week ahead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment