Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Roots

A couple weeks ago I was approached via email by an online diary magazine to possibly add my book to their online bookstore.  I was thrilled, but moreso by my dad...the eternal farmer!  I sent them my book to review, but found out today that they aren't going to add my book to their bookstore because there weren't enough stories about the farm in my book.  Disappointed to say the least....

I only lived on the farm until I was 9 years old, so that's not a lot of time to fill the pages of a book.  I emphasized that growing up on the farm gave me the foundation for everything else in my life and especially the self-assurance I have of myself as I grew up as an adopted child.  And how my affinity for that place is as strong today as the day we left. ...and how warmly reaffirming it was to go back last year for my first book signing and receive the same acceptance, love and support I had received all those years ago as the first internationally adopted child in that community.  It warms my heart and builds up the reverence I have for my hometown even more. 

So, despite the minor rejection today, I know what growing up in a small farming community...on that diary farm...provided me as a child growing up....self confidence, self esteem and acceptance.  I don't take any of that lightly and I'm forever grateful and blessed.  I hope you have a blessed week and hope you take a minute to remember a fond memory of your childhood that helped shaped your life...be still in that moment and let it fill your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment