Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Winter Olympics

The winter Olympics start this week in South Korea...my homeland.  It would be amazing to be there for all the sporting events, but alas I'll be watching from home as usual.  Besides, I've heard it's pretty cold there...obviously!  Plus, there probably aren't as many sports I'm really a fan of watching in the winter Olympics versus the summer Olympics, so watching on TV will suffice.  

However, I was thinking that it would be a lot easier to visit and travel around during the Olympics because they're expecting so many tourists there from so many countries, so there might be more guides/signs/hosts that speak English.  They would be expecting the confused faces and might be more eager to help versus when I first visited Seoul, South Korea.  It was in October and I was traveling there for work.  I went a couple days early so that I could explore and get a better feel for my homeland, but I was truly a tourist in the city.  And, if you've traveled to any foreign city where they don't speak the language and most of the signs aren't written in English it's definitely a "foreign" feeling of being lost, but trying not to look lost so that you don't tip people off you are a tourist.  I was always very conscientious of not drawing any attention to myself, being courteous and cautious, and not doing anything that would offend anyone or their culture....especially being in the country you were born in.  But, not understanding the language is always the hardest thing about international travel no matter where you go.  But, after being in an international city for awhile I could pick up on people's tone or inflections and get a sense for what they were saying.  Many times I would guess right and throw off my hosts who thought I actually knew what they were saying.  I write more about this in my book, "Corn-fed with Rice on the Side."

I think the Olympics always bring a sense of pride for your country no matter where you live.  It's a fun time to cheer on the athletes, watch amazing competition and to learn more about a country and culture.  So, I'll definitely be watching!

Blessings to you in whatever competition you may be involved in or if you'll simply be rooting on your country in the Olympics!  Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment