Sunday, January 21, 2018

A Sign?

Do you believe in signs?  No, not the kind you drive by on the roadway, but things that happen in life that are a precursor to something coming.  You know, a sign from above.  A sign from a loved one that has passed away.  A sign about what decision to make.  I think some signs are simple and subtle and if we're not listening or looking we may miss them.  And, other times I think signs are a little more obvious that you know it when you see it or hear it and it lights up something inside of you...you just know it's a sign!

I pray (not every day, but often) in the mornings that God will open my eyes to the beauty and simple joys of the day ahead.  A beautiful sunrise, a blooming flower, the rain after a long drought, etc.  There's always something that reminds us of the beauty God has surrounded us with each and every day if we're willing to see it.  Just remember to take time to look for it...appreciate it...and thank God for it!

The other day I got a sign.  It was unexpected, heart-warming and very much needed!  My dad's mom passed away in 2009 and after the funeral all the cousins were given one of the small plants that had been sent by well-wishers.  I was given a small pot with a Christmas cactus.  It bloomed that Christmas because it was full and vibrant, but over the years part of the plant died and it never bloomed since then.  I only have a small little branch left that I've managed to keep alive all these years that I've refused to throw away.  Year after year it's sat there and never bloomed again since that first year...until now!  I noticed a few flower buds actually on the few branches that remain.  One of the buds is a bit bigger than the others so I was pretty sure it would bloom and yesterday it did!  My (Grandma's) Christmas cactus bloomed for the first time in 9 years!!  It's a sign, right?!?!  It's got to be a sign!  Even if it's not I'm saying it is!  I have to believe it's a sign of good things to come...that change is coming, a new day is dawning and a new start is here!  I have to believe!  That's the optimist in me...the one that has hope for a better tomorrow, a brighter future, and opportunities to let my light shine!

So, whether you believe in signs or not I hope you take time to see or hear the simple joys and beauty of today.  Appreciate it and allow it to brighten your day.  May blessings fill your week with wonder and excitement and possibly a sign that will show you the way forward...just keep moving forward....just keep getting up....just keep trying!!!

1 comment: