Wednesday, May 17, 2017

No Edits...

Are you a perfectionist?  Or are you an occasional perfectionist wanting to bake the perfect cake or plan the perfect party, etc?  I think we all have certain perfectionist tendencies for something in our lives...big or small...and some take it too far to be perfect in everything they do.  Obviously that's not realistic or attainable and will keep you frustrated and disappointed throughout your life.

When I was a teenager (in middle school and high school), I definitely held onto some perfectionist tendencies that drove me crazy and never allowed me to be fully happy.  That's the one regret I have about high school is that out of all the amazing and fun things I was able to do and participate in I didn't enjoy it to it's fullest.  Yes, I had fun and enjoyed certain experiences, but I think I was always worried about something else that prevented me from fully enjoying the experience.  Worrying, analyzing, predicting, preparing...all those mind games an ever-changing teenager goes through.  

But, as I've gotten older I've let those perfectionist tendencies go...for the most part...and just try to live more mindfully in the present moment.  It doesn't always happen, but I definitely am more aware and make a more concerted effort in that manner.  But yes, there are still some things I just have to try and make perfect.  It's just part of who I am.  I just don't hold on as tight as I used to which means it doesn't stress me out as much and I don't think about it afterwards as much either.  I can let things go more quickly.

As I was driving around town yesterday, I thought about the 4 poems I wrote that I included at the end of my book, Corn-fed with Rice on the Side.  I wrote those 4 poems one right after the other as the words just flowed out of my heart onto the page.  And, after all the edits I made to the whole book itself I never ever edited those 4 poems.  They were perfect as is...just as I had originally written them.  No edits needed.  Wow.  That rarely happens especially when writing.  But, I knew they were straight from my heart, true and pure and I really, really liked them as I had originally written them.  My one moment of perfect writing.

After one of my friends read the book, she told me she was going to make copies of the poems and post on her daughter's bathroom mirrors because they were so encouraging.  I was honored by the feedback and glad that I could hopefully inspire someone else.  It was definitely satisfying to hear and why I wanted to share them with everyone...to inspire, to encourage others and to provide hope.  We could all use more of that these days!

So, if you haven't read my book (or my poems), get your copy today at www.kimfenneman.com!  I think you'll really enjoy the poems (and the book)!

Wishing you blessings of hope, inspiration and action!!

No comments:

Post a Comment